SCHOOLS: RESIDENCIES, WORKSHOPS, AND PERFORMANCES
My residencies can:
- stimulate students’ joy and ability in writing
- increase students’ commitment to the study of history
- teach students the methods and values of collecting community and family oral history
- forge collaborations and connections between school and community
- enable students at all levels to create and tell original stories
- increase their confidence and skill in storytelling
- demonstrate and teach the value of incorporating storytelling into curriculum
- help them introduce oral history into the curriculum as a dynamic teaching resource.
My school performances can:
- make vital connections between national history and family and community stories about the past
- demonstrate the value of collecting and presenting oral history
- promote the ideals of community cooperation, mutual respect, and peaceful solution of conflicts
"I highly recommend Jo as a consulting artist; get her if you can! She is very knowledgeable about regional history, is a spellbinding storyteller, and is adept at working with teachers to enrich the curriculum. Jo is very creative but has a talent for listening before she offers solutions. She is invariably positive, constructive, and encouraging in her interactions with students and faculty."